Keane observations about life, politics and sports.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Correct Way to Apologize

Over the years we have gotten used to public figures misbehaving or saying something inappropriate and then when there is the predictable public condemnation they issue the "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" non-apology type apology statement. Most of those come off sounding as if the offended party is at fault for being offended. Well, today we have a politician/actor caught having fathered an illegitimate child and he actually gave an actual apology where he took responsibility for ruining his marriage and family.
Schwarzenegger told the Times in a statement that also was sent to The Associated Press early Tuesday. "I understand and deserve the feelings of anger and disappointment among my friends and family. There are no excuses and I take full responsibility for the hurt I have caused. I have apologized to Maria, my children and my family. I am truly sorry.

"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time," the statement concluded. "While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not."
He still deserves scorn for his actions, but at least he didn't go with the standard mealy-mouthed statement. The next ball player testing positive for steroids or celebrity caught driving drunk should follow Schwarzenegger's example and just admit they did wrong and take responsibility for their actions.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

View My Stats