Keane observations about life, politics and sports.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Associated Press Fails Simple Math

I can understand reporters having trouble with serious math. I'd want a couple weeks warning before doing complex algebra. However, I'd like to think even a leftist reporter could do some adding and subtracting and be pretty close with the answer. Tonight I was reading the AP obit on Barbara Billingsley (June Cleaver on TV) and something just didn't add up. Here is the first paragraph:
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Barbara Billingsley, who gained supermom status for her gentle portrayal of June Cleaver, the warm, supportive mother of a pair of precocious boys in "Leave it to Beaver," died Saturday. She was 94.
I bolded the age intentionally because one of the last paragraphs said:
Born Barbara Lillian Combes in Los Angeles on Dec. 22, 1922, she was raised by her mother after her parents divorced. She and her first husband, Glenn Billingsley, divorced when her sons were just 2 and 4.

How can someone who was born in 1922 be 94 years old? My mother-in-law was born in 1918 and she is a spry 92. Without taxing my brain too much I have to assume someone born after her would be younger than her.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

View My Stats