Keane observations about life, politics and sports.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Kagan Nominated for Supreme Court

This morning President Obama nominated his Solicitor General Elena Kagan to replace Justice Stevens on the Supreme Court. If you're unfamiliar with Kagan you can think of her as a less experienced Harriet Miers that kind of resembles Mike Myers. Separated at birth? You decide.








In all seriousness, I fully expect she'll be confirmed. The president gets to appoint justices with the advice and consent of the Senate. Barring a major revelation about Kagan she should be confirmed. Elections have consequences and this is one of the lasting consequences. The people who foolishly voted for Obama in 2008 also were voting for a left wing supreme court whether they understood that or not. Senate Republicans should vigorously question Kagan during confirmation hearings, but should not attempt to filibuster the nomination. The best they can do is get her on the record on her positions on contentious issues including her anti-military history at Harvard. The senate should not address the rampant rumors about her personal life at all. I don't care about her sex life (eewww!). I do care whether she has read and will follow the United States Constitution. Considering who picked her for the job I don't have high hopes in that regard.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul Zummo said...

I agree with you. I don't care whether or not she is gay - I care whether or not she is someone who adheres to an originalist understanding of the Constitution. All signs point to no. I also agree that there should be no filibuster, though I have no problems with opponents fighting her nomination.

May 10, 2010 at 8:44 AM

 
Blogger Value Added said...

I've read some typically whiny columns from the usual suspects about how Kagan isn't liberal enough.

Allow me to predict: Barack Obama's second nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court will not disappoint the Huffington Post crowd.

May 10, 2010 at 7:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 

View My Stats